Sunday, April 19, 2009

Outside My Window...



Just outside our hotel window, there's a house. Well, "house" is a loose term. It's more like some brick walls with a few pieces of tin for some shelter. It's backed up right to the Nile River, and so far, I've counted six or seven children, three women and two men living inside the roofed part. The youngest is a little boy, about Jack's age, and he loves to pass the time by scaring and kicking the chickens that run loose around the house. He does it until one of the mothers comes out screaming at him to stop. It's pretty funny to watch. Makes me miss the boys like crazy too.
The thing is, this "house" is actually a step up from most that we see as we travel the roads of Uganda. We finally made it to the village of Kakira for church services. I was taken back by the sights and smells of the typical east African village. But, as a worship leader, I was humbled and as a Christian, I was put in my place. Because while the poverty is quite common, something else is even more evident. These christians look not only to their own needs and concerns, but also to the needs and concerns of others. Worship this morning was incredible. I can only relate it to what I imagine Heaven will be like. I'm not gonna lie, I was pitying our churches for the Americanized version of "church" that they would be holding today. Sorry, I know that sounds both arrogant and brash. But I knew that there was no where else I would rather be than right there, and I knew that every Sunday morning, I will always remember how others worship and celebrate the life that is theirs in Christ, all over the world.
Despite all the poverty and hardship that I see around every corner, I caught a true sense of completion in Christ in the hearts of the people. I'm realizing more and more that as much as I have to teach this week, it pales in comparison to what God is doing in the hearts of our team. I've fallen in love with the countryside. I'm captured by the hearts of these people. I've got some soul-searching to do. Keep praying as we get started tomorrow. We know you've been praying because all of us truly feel empowered with a sense of courage and love. Keep praying. We thank you all and love you all so much! Happy Sunday, and hey... Go nuts this Sunday morning!! We have a lot to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment